Allegations of snatching Geelani’s body baseless: IGP Kashmir

The Kashmir Walla needs you, urgently. Only you can do it.

The Kashmir Walla plans to extensively and honestly cover — break, report, and analyze — everything that matters to you. You can help us.

Most Read This Week

Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir police on Thursday refuted allegations that the police didn’t allow family members of Syed Ali Shah Geelani to participate in his last rites.
Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Kashmir Vijay Kumar told local news agency KNO that reported allegations against the police are baseless. “In fact, the police facilitated in bringing the body (of Geelani) from house to graveyard as there was apprehension that miscreants might take undue advantage of the situation. Relatives participated in last rites,” he said.
The prominent resistance leader Geelani passed away on Wednesday evening at his Srinagar residence and was laid to rest next day before morning prayers. Geelani, 92, breathed his last after developing serious breathing issues at his Rehmatabad, Hyderpora, Srinagar residence Wednesday evening.
Soon after the news of his death spread across Srinagar, senior officers of police and the CRPF rushed to Hyderpora and sealed his residence, and ordered the deployment of a large number of security forces to prevent law and order issues. The aged leader was under house detention since 2008. His health started failing fast in the past two years. Geelani had parted ways from the Hurriyat Conference last year.
Several family members of Geelani said that they had planned his funeral and burial post-Fajr (pre-dawn) prayers but police scuttled their plan. “Policemen barged into our house at 3:30 am (Thursday) and snatched the body of Geelani sahib and buried him at a graveyard outside our house. We resisted and so did our women, but to no avail. Two sons of Geelani sahib couldn’t attend the burial,” alleged the relative of the deceased leader.

Witnesses quoted by the KNO said that only a few relatives were present at the burial that too in presence of police and paramilitary CRPF personnel. “Geelani sahib was laid to rest in a local graveyard barely 300 meters away from his Hyderpora residence,” they said.

After the silent burial of the veteran separatist leader, the authorities on early morning Thursday, snapped mobile communication and internet on all platforms. BSNL was the only telecommunication Company that allowed voice-calling on its network. People woke up to see stringent curfew in place.

Witnesses said that early morning, a huge deployment of police and paramilitary personnel was made on Srinagar roads and all roads leading to Hyderpora were sealed while the downtown area of the city was put under strict curbs. “Rolls of concertina wires were placed on roads and no one was allowed to venture out,” said Abdur Rahim Bhat, a resident of the Nowhatta area of downtown. “This was for the first time after Article 370 revocation that such strict curbs were in place in Srinagar,” he said.

Witnesses said that only vehicles that were supposed to reach Srinagar airport were allowed to proceed after thorough checking and questioning of passengers. A cab driver, who was ferrying two Delhi-bound passengers, said that today’s restrictions were reminiscent of the one witnessed in Srinagar post Article 370 revocation. “I was stopped at multiple locations till I reached the airport,” he said. “I faced difficulties in reaching the hotel where I was supposed to pick the two passengers as phones were not working.”—(KNO)

Choose a plan as per your location

Latest News

Stop teaching during school hrs or face action: ADC Sopore warns coaching centres

The authorities on Saturday warned coaching institutions, operating in Sopore town of north Kashmir’s Baramulla district, of strict action...

More Articles Like This