Shazia’s Father Fights For Justice

JK Bank

A day before Eid-ul-Azha, Shazia Majeed, 28, was found hanging to a ceiling fan in her house. She died in mysterious circumstances. She was a mother of a three year old girl. She had disputes with her husband, Javaid Ahmad Wani, ever since they got married.

Shazia, the only daughter and sister of her two brothers was living happily with her family. She was a gold medalist of her batch (at University of Kashmir) and then got a job of librarian in Islamic University of Science and Technolgy, Awantipora. After getting a job her parents started looking for best matches for her and selected one and thought he has also done a masters in engineering so he will be compatible with their daughter and will keep her like princess as she used to be in her house but destiny had something different stored for her, extremely opposite to what her parents had dreamt of and now her father feels guilty of giving preference to an educated man.


She got married to Javaid, a resident of Nowgam, originally hailing from Lower Munda in 2007. From the day one of her marriage she has been tortured verbally as well as physically by her husband for not getting adequate gifts on marriage says Abdul Majeed, deceased’s father.  “And after that her life was like hell but she never informed us except for the rare occasions when she was thrown out of the house but Javaid crossed the limit when Shazia delivered a girl. He divorced her telephonically for the payment he has to make at the time of delivery in hospital and for delivering a girl,” recalls Majeed. He adds, “after that neither Javaid nor his family came to see the little girl, her daughter”.

After divorcing Shazia, some elders from Javaid’s family had come to tell her Javaid wants to marry her again and is guilty of his doings. Shazia had decided to return to her home as per a written document which she has addressed to Station House Officer of Women’s Police Station, Rambagh and is with The Kashmir Walla also. She had always tried to patch up with her husband so that she can get a shelter for her daughter but as soon as she landed in her in-laws house she was forced by her husband with the consent of his parents to get some cash from her father so that they can buy their own house.

Majeed says, “My daughter somehow arranged eleven lac rupees ($21,394) by selling her patch of land at Ompora and also by taking consumer loan from Jammu and Kashmir Bank, Awantipora branch and gave it to Javaid just to satisfy his unquenched thirst for dowry”. They bought a house in Bagi-e-mehtab area. She was forty percent share holder in the property and her husband had the rest share.

Shazia was found dead in her house at Bagi-e-Mehtab on November 6, 2011, a day before Eid-ul-Azha

“After buying a new house Javaid again started torturing my daughter. He used to keep her without food for days together and finally threw her out of the house. That time she lodged a complaint (FIR NO. 193/11 dated 04-10-11 under section 354RPC) with concerned police station, Channapora that she has been thrown out of her house, of which she was a partner.  She managed to reach her home back to celebrate the holy festival of Eid with her husband, but she was murdered there. I know my daughter was very sensitive but at the same time she was mature enough. I cannot believe she committed suicide. She must have been forced to do so,” says the wailing mother of Shazia. She adds, “He used to beat her profusely”. Her colleagues at university say Shazia used to have bruises on her face time and again time but was never comfortable to share her problems. She always preferred to remain silent.

Before leaving her parents’ home she had handed a hand written application to her father, addressed to the DO Chanapora Chowki for seeking police protection as she was apprehensive about the prevailing situation, and left for her home along with her daughter and mother. “The application was duly submitted to the DO concerned for necessary action and on the same day a court direction from additional Munsif Judicial Magistrate (first class), Srinagar was obtained and also submitted to the concerned DO for taking action under law. But they didn’t seem interested and on September 15, 2011, Shazia again lodged a written complaint against her husband Javaid to the SHO, Women’s Police Station, but of no avail. The concerned SHO took no cognizance as Javaid has a friend, Superintendent of Police (South), Srinagar who keeps on interfering with the case” says Majeed.

When SHO women’s Police Station was contacted, she said, “Shazia had lodged a complaint in the station but she didn’t return back then”.

The father of the deceased has now requested to the Inspector General of Police (Jammu and Kashmir) and Senior Superintendent of Police, Srinagar to look in to the matter so that Justice is delivered to his daughter.


  1. plz do something for shazia we are with u ,i always remember her little daughter i am shazia friend i always thionk of shazia and her little daughter. i cannot contol myself i alwys cry for shazia.plz help her daughter